Tuesday 27 September 2016

Happiness score, and Gratitude Visits

My happiness score today is 3.05. Yesterday it would have been more, sometimes, and less other times. But overall my score is up by about 15% on when I started this experiment, which has to say something. The point of scoring myself now was not to make any judgements about the method I am using, just to keep a record. 

While doing this I found this Article about Seligman's Gratitude Visits





I think of myself as a grateful person. I thank people a lot in my day to day life. But reading this I thought about how often I do that because I feel guilty for having taken up their time and effort, so it's by way of 'payment' or 'penance' even, rather than from a place of actual gratitude. 

Or sometimes I express gratitude to people because I know that will make them happy, even when I don't really feel it. Which can get me into trouble because then they think that I LIKED what they did and do more of it. So the joke's on me.

I have a lot to be grateful for, and some people who have done very good things for me, most especially my husband. I have written people letters and stuff, but never actually told them genuinely face to face how much they have given me. The very thought makes me feel like crying with embarrassment. 

But it would be giving them a gift, rather than exposing my vulnerability, that would be the point here. 





 If I'm going to do this for my own good (as the happiness prof Seligman says giving in this way helps people feel happier than receiving gifts themselves), then G is the person I should do it for. 

So I will write myself some notes about what he has done for me. 

Oh wow, I may be some time...




from https://www.happier.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment